Lyra McKee Bio
Lyra McKee, a journalist and author based in Belfast, Northern Ireland, was shot and killed while reporting at the scene of riots that broke out during the evening of Thursday, April 18, in Londonderry. She was 29 years old.
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hamilton of the Police Service of Northern Ireland shared via social media that the case is being treated as a “terrorist incident” and that investigators have launched a murder inquiry. McKee was first identified publicly by friends and other journalists as the victim.
Police later confirmed in a news conference that McKee had been killed. Hamilton called her death “horrendous and unjustified” and urged potential witnesses to come forward. He also confirmed that a single gunman was responsible for firing shots in the area and striking McKee. Police attributed the violence to the New Irish Republican Army, a group that reportedly favors leaving the United Kingdom and joining Ireland.
Lyra McKee was in the area to report on the riots. Her Twitter account has been locked, but a friend of hers shared the last photo she took before she was shot. The picture, embedded above, shows smoke rising from a burning police vehicle further down the road.
McKee’s friend, who identified himself as historian Dieter Reinisch, shared the picture. He wrote, “This is the last photo taken and tweeted by journalist Lyra McKee during tonight’s #CregganRiots in #derry before she was severely wounded by gunshots. RIP!”
Fast Facts About Lyra McKee You Need to Know
- Lyra McKee Was At the Scene in Londonderry to Report on the Riots; She Was Known For Her Investigative Work on the Violence in Northern Ireland, Both Past & Present
— David Blevins (@skydavidblevins) April 19, 2019
This is the last photo taken and tweeted by journalist Lyra McKee during tonight’s #CregganRiots in #derry before she was severely wounded by gunshots. RIP!#ireland #northernireland #Creggan #riots pic.twitter.com/VuAlEI6IMv
— Dieter Reinisch (@ReinischDieter) April 19, 2019
- A Fellow Journalist, Leona O’Neill, Shared That She Was Standing Beside Lyra McKee When the Shooting Happened & Called an Ambulance
- Lyra McKee Was a Rising Star in the Journalism World; She Was Named to Forbes’ ’30 Under 30′ in Media List in 2016
- Lyra McKee Was an Activist for LGBTQ Rights & Spoke at a TED Talk in 2917 About How She Felt Religious Teaching on Homosexuality Needed to Change
- Lyra McKee’s Friends Are Remembering Her in Online Tributes as a Devoted Journalist, a Mentor, a Fierce Activist & a Tremendous Friend
I just received the heartbreaking news that my friend @LyraMcKee was murdered tonight in a terrorist incident in Derry.
She was one of my closest friends. She was my mentor. She was a groomswoman at my wedding. I can’t imagine life without her, and yet now I must. I’m devastated
— Matthew Hughes (@matthewhughes) April 19, 2019
Jese Bal born Nov 9, 1982, is a novelist and poet. He has published novels, volumes of poetry, short stories, and drawings. His works are distinguished by the use of a spare style and have been compared to those of Jorge Luis Borges and Italo Calvino.